History of Use
This building holding the museum was originally built to be the community’s post office. The structure featured a Richardson Romanesque Style of architecture, which was the predominant style for federal buildings constructed between 1910 and 1914.
Though constructed to house the postal services, many additional features were included in the building. In the basement there was a shooting gallery, fuel room, vault and pump room.
On the main floor was the post office, vault, customs examining warehouse, and a Weights and Measure office.
The second floor consisted of the Customs long room, the Collector’s office, a place for the Customs records, two offices for Inland Revenue, a brick vault, armoury and a Commanding Officer’s room. The third floor contained a five-room apartment.
This building housed Humboldt’s postal service from 1912 to 1975 and a customs office from 1912 to 1932. The Humboldt detachment of the RCMP had its offices and living quarters on the second floor from 1933 to 1964. The War Time Price and Trade Board had an office in the building from 1940-1945. In 1952-54, a one-storey addition was built on the north side of the building.
Designated Historic Site
In 1977 the building was purchased by the City of Humboldt and was designated a National Historic Site. The building became home to the Humboldt and District Museum in 1982 and the building was designated a Municipal Heritage Site in 1984, and a Provincial Heritage Site in 2010.