The Museum holds in public trust over 20,000 objects donated to the City of Humboldt. Collectively, these artifacts tell the story of the development of Humboldt and area. They are objects that demonstrate everyday life, but represent ingenuity, accomplishments, suffering and the values of the people who built the community of Humboldt and surrounding area.
The collection includes:
• Artifacts from the Humboldt Telegraph Station (circa 1878–1885), located on the Carlton Trail, including those found through archaeological investigations conducted since 1995 of the telegraph station site;
• One of the oldest collections of natural history specimens in the province, begun in the 1920s by the monks at St. Peter’s Abbey;
• Items relating to the spiritual guidance given by the Benedictine monks, educational role of the Ursuline Sisters and the impact on health care by the Elizabethan sisters;
• Artifacts from the early settlement era, including those relating to transportation, communication, family life and community organizations;
• Memorabilia from businesses and events of Humboldt’s past; and,
• The development of Humboldt from the early pioneers to present time.
Visitors are invited to conduct research at the Museum by browsing through our local history books, family histories and archival listings. Currently, we also have newspaper articles from the Humboldt Journal (1905 to 2010) available for viewing on microfilm.
Requests for information fulfilled by staff will be charged at $25/hour after the first hour. An approximate cost will be provided once the request is made, and payment must be received in full prior to any research being undertaken. This fee is for research time and does nor guarantee results.
To make an inquiry about research information please contact us by telephone or email:
(306) 682-5226 or firstname.lastname@example.org.